Services for Veterans

Veterans saluting at a Memorial Day ceremony

As a courtesy to the courageous men and women that have served in our military, the Morris County Clerk’s Office is proud to offer the following complementary services to honorably discharged veterans.

Our Veteran’s ID Cards can also be used to enjoy discounts at many participating Morris County businesses.

Get a Veteran's ID Card

Front of the Veterans ID Card    Back of the Veterans ID Card

To obtain a Morris County Veteran’s ID Card, you must provide the following:

  • One form of identification proving Morris County residency
  • Original or certified copy of the long form discharge document, such as the DD-214

Please note: If there has been a legal name change from the name found on the discharge document, a certified copy of the legal name change document such as a marriage certificate or final judgment from the court, will be required.

We cannot accept discharge certificates, only long form separation documents. The discharge document will be permanently recorded and returned to the veteran.

If the discharge document is already on file with our office, the original or certified copy is not necessary. We can look up the record for you.

This service is free of charge for all honorably discharged Morris County veterans in appreciation of their service in protecting our citizens and our country.

Veteran’s ID Cards issued by the Morris County Clerk’s Office are for identification purposes only and are not intended to replace the federal Veteran Health Identification Card (VHIC) needed to access Veterans Affairs health benefits or other government programs.

ID card services are available by appointment only. Please call 973-285-6122 for more information.

Record or Obtain a Discharge Record

Honorably discharged veterans can permanently record an original or certified copy of their long form military discharge record, such as the DD-214, with our office for no charge.

The document will be recorded and immediately returned to the veteran. All discharge documents filed with our office are considered confidential and can only be accessed by the veteran.

This service is is also offered to veterans who obtain a Morris County Veteran's ID Card through our office.

If your original discharge document has been lost or damaged and is not on file with us, a certified copy can be obtained by contacting the National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis, MO at or by calling 1-866-272-6272.

To obtain a copy of a discharge record that has been recorded with our office, please contact our Records Vault at 973-285-6747 or send us an email.

Get a Veteran's Vendor License

Honorably discharged veterans residing in Morris County may obtain a no-fee license to vend merchandise or solicit trade anywhere within the state.

All that is required is one form of identification proving residency in the county and the original or certified copy of the discharge record, such as a DD-214.

If the discharge document is already on file with our office, the original or certified copy is not necessary. We can look up the record for you.

For more information, please contact our Registry Department at 973-285-6130 or send us an email.